Welcome to the website of the Henry Bradshaw Society.
The Henry Bradshaw Society was founded in 1890 to publish editions and facsimiles of rare liturgical texts. It is now a Registered Charity (no. 278781) under UK law. To date the Society has issued 118 volumes in its main series, the great majority being concerned with medieval subjects. It is one of the longest-established and most widely respected series in its field, and its ongoing collection provides a resource for the study of the medieval Church whose importance is internationally recognised. We also publish a series of occasional Subsidia volumes, which include extended monographs whose subjects fall within the area of our interests.
The Society's main publications are issued free to members in return for their subscriptions, and members are also entitled to discounts on available back-numbers, reprints and Subsidia volumes. The present pages give further information about membership, and details of the personnel and constitution of the Society. There are also pages which list the books currently available together with news of forthcoming volumes, and comprehensive listings of all HBS publications since the Society's foundation and of the manuscripts edited in them. The links at the top of this and the other pages enable navigation of the site.
The international firm of Boydell & Brewer acts as our publishers, and their web-site catalogue also contains details of all currently-available HBS volumes.
Further information about the early history of the Society can be found in: A.Ward and C.Johnson, ‘The Henry Bradshaw Society: Its Birth and First Decade 1890–1900’, Ephemerides Liturgicae 104 (1990) 187–200. By kind permission of the authors and editors, we are able to make a PDF version of this article available. You may download it from here.
The Society has an annual business meeting, usually held in London shortly after Easter. More details can be found here.